Coops

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A New Way to Spring

It's amazing how different my thinking is as I walk through the yard this year compared to last year. I see plants differently because of my time at Hobbit Gardens. I see the space differently because of my time at Growing Power. I am walking the yard with new eyes and bigger plans! Want to see what I see? Okay!
This is the new peppermint emerging from last year's start. It's in a cinder block so that it doesn't take over the whole world!

This is that same peppermint in a little sexier pose.

Lemon Balm! One of my all-time favorite medicinal and culinary herbs.

It's not like I didn't know this was a medicinal before my apprenticeship, but I'm WAY more prepared to use it this year than last. Sweet, wonderful dandelions.

I had no idea the wonders of violets before last year. A lovely tisane with expectorant properties and its antiseptic constituents make it great for skin eruptions. It is VERY tasty, too!
 
This is the garden bed we built. We put the great soil right on top of the yard. It made for shallow roots. Today I dug down another foot into the soil underneath and mixed it all together. It reminded my lower back that I did deadlifts yesterday at QuantumFit.

Plantain is a great herb for a lot of things.

Yarrow. So lovely and wonderful!

Wormwood. It barely stopped growing all winter!

Valerian. It is not used to make Valium. Sorry. 

Bloodroot! The most exciting thing about this is that it died off early last year. I didn't expect it to come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment