Coops

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Murder...

Snails have entered the garden. If a bug is in the house, I tend to take a capture & release approach save for ants. You can never catch them, so we are just trying to make it less attractive to come in. (I may have secretly place a food source just outside the door so they don't have to work so hard and can stay outside.)

Snails, though, are ravaging the leaves of the plants in the garden. They seem to love the turnip greens and I simply can't have it. So, the interwebs has made it quite clear that there are lots of ways to battle the little heshes (they are hermaphroditic and I want them to feel respected.) Today I put a bottle of beer in a small bowl buried to the rim near the plants they are eating. I've a feeling that it's a precarious line between drawing them off the plants and into the garden. So, I'm hoping the current residents will all go the way of idiots with booze and that the ones who have yet to be in the garden won't notice the party that's happening, for their own sakes.

For the new raised bed, I am looking at preventative measures. Copper wire, salt, coffee... these are things we have come to love but that snails can't abide. I shall employ them as best I can. Sorry, snails, you'll have to eat from food I don't want.

In other news, read this article. It will let you know what kind of impact we can make if we continue spreading the word. What we're doing here in Little Flower isn't just for fun, it's for the future. This is how we grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment